Thursday, March 15, 2007

Hello Pot, This is Kettle

So I never really realized the pressure there was to regularly blog (btw, Pot...errr...umm... Rachel! I haven't seen anything new on your's since FEBRUARY!! ;) I'm just sayin'....)! I figured that if I didn't have a moment to check other people's blogs, they probably didn't have time to check mine, and see that I haven't written in a little while...turns out that's not the case. And I'm pretty sure that kind of thinking is similar to that of a 5 year old, in their whole learning how they relate to other people...or at least I remember learning something very similar to that in my developmental psych class...but I digress!

My friend Alida is in town. We met my very first day on the U of C campus. It was called University 101 - a basic intro to the school. Funny thing is, I met Alida and Amy, two very special friends, that first day in our little group 0f 20! It wasn't until we were touring the SUB and we both noticed the IVCF sign that we realized we had more commonality than just being first year nursing students. Alida became one of the friends that got me through my degree. She was the one that brought Amy and I and our 3rd year group project team snacks in the computer lab as we headed into our 12th hour of typing out our 116 page paper...she was the one who took me to the airport to come home for Christmas...and she was the one who never lost sight of her dream to work in Africa with medical missions. She's traveling to Nigeria for the third (??? do I have that right???) time in a few months, where she'll live for 2 1/2 years, helping people, meeting their physical needs, and loving them. This is her passion.

We sat in ReBar last night over an almond burger and lotus land stirfry as she told me of her African adventures. Sometimes, I admit, I am terribly jealous! That is, until she told me about the "bush meat" and the near-death experiences while driving...but, I tell you - it's pretty great when your friends are your heroes.

You should really check out her blog (see below) - and tell her she should write a book, because her stories are fantastic!! At least that's what I keep telling her.

"Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life that you have imagined" - Thoreau

...ok....I have to add to this quote - I love it! It's one of my favorites, there's just one part missing - that if you dream with God, He'll take you further than you imagined!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

great to read you again... actually I was checking daily, until I hooked up with "Google Reader" which tells me exactly when you have posted something new, so that is why I am here...Google Reader told me to come. Yes, Rachel has been a little behind on posting, I agree ;) Kidding Rach, I know you've been very busy!

Rayael said...

Sweet Esie, (I don't know how to spell that, but you know how I said it) Nice to see your latest post, you are very eloquent. Maybe you could write your friends story! xoxo The month is nearing the end, then you can breath a little bit deeper.

Rachel H. said...

Elise, the pot writeth..... the truth is, I have been far too busy to write on my own blog as of late, so what few precious moments I do have I have been spending surfing and enjoying the wonderful penmanship of my friends writings. And when I see that your blog also has not updated, well, my heart pangs at the thought that perhaps you too have been lost in the world of replacing switchplates and tiling walls. But I can relax in the knowledge that you have a life, and an active social one at that. I too shall join thereafter. Farewell....

Elise said...

Oh friends - I love your comments!! Sarah - I am totally going to hook myself up with Google Reader...I feel like we're part of an infomercial for it! And Rachel, dear busy, busy Rachel!! I'm glad you can find the time to at least read of your friends' lives, and I'm sure those switch plates and tiles look lovely!! :) Looking forward to when you have a moment to blog too!

Rachel H. said...

Thou requesteth..... and I have bloggeth (sp??)

Even though it looks like the video link isn't there, if you click on the ? it still works.