Thursday, March 1, 2007

What! You too?

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
So I've been thinking about friends lately. I've had a few random dreams that have brought to mind dear friends who I haven't been in touch with for a while. And then these last couple of weeks I've been able to connect with some fabulous people in my life...friends that feel more comfortable than my favorite sweater. Such sweet and wonderful friends!
It's interesting how life is full of different friendships. There are friends who are perfect for laughing hard with, friends to cry with, friends to run and play with (I know I'm 27...but I still play!), friends to make music with...friends that push you and challenge you, friends that encourage you, friends that are friends because of a history shared...what a tremendous gift we have in friendships...whatever form they take.
I was just chatting with a dear friend today about how you get to this point in life and you remember that time when your one group of friends was everything...they were your world...and then, as we get older and life moves on, so do our friends. Friends move on to different cities, or different places in life, different relationships, different worlds...and we remember when they were our Sunday morning, our Tuesday night, and Friday night. Now they become the Wednesday night phone call that lasts over 2 hours, and the great card that arrives unexpectedly in the mail, or message on the voicemail that reminds you that you are loved and thought of...
So maybe there are some friends that are just for a time, but then there are those rare and special friends that hold onto your heart forever, where time apart has little impact on the connection between two kindred souls. I am so thankful for my friends - the friends who "knew me when...", the friends who know the history behind my nicknames and passions, the friends that make me laugh to the point of tears, the friends that challenge me to be the person God's called me to be, the friends that bring so many beautiful moments to life.
I am a very thankful girl. I am so very thankful for each of you, friends.
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." ~ C.S. Lewis

8 comments:

Rayael said...

Sweet Elise,
That is a wonderful entry. I'm so thrilled that you 'blog'. It made my eyes watery, and reminded me how blessed I am also for the wonderful friends that I have. "It's a good thing" Martha Stewart ~ jail bird

Louise said...

I could have written that post myself! I too treasure friendships and really look forward to BC trips when I can sit and just VISIT my friends! While I appreciate all friendships, it's the "back when" friendships from youth group/highschool/camp days that are the most deeply etched in my heart! There are experiences & memories too rich & sweet to be forgotten! OK - now I'm getting weepy but "I'll be home for Easter..."

Sarah said...

well said, Elise... makes me remember wearing our slippers from Omi as you and I sat talking about boyfriends and vla in a windowsill in Holland. Sigh, sweet "back when" memories! bless you! thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Elise said...

didn't mean to make your eyes watery, ladies - but it sure is fun hearing from you! And Sarah - oh my goodness - what a flashback that was!! mmmm....vla...do you remember sneaking down in the middle of the night to go have a bowl of vla? sigh. happy, happy memories with you...

Sarah said...

yeah, I think we all gained weight on that Missions trip... not really the point of missions. Oh well!!! Remember the white bread and chocolate spread? And Kenneth Tolofari. That black man could SING!!

One more memory - Zeleke's hair cut... still have a piece of his hair. So weird, I know! Can't believe all these names are coming back to me. Can't remember the bus driver's name. Kevin?

Beautifully Mended said...

Elise...your posts are amazing to read. There is such an ease, flow and beauty to your writings! It feels as though I can hear and see you as you write...what a gift! Nelia

Anonymous said...

I loved your entry. I often feel like my friends are an extension of my family. There are sooo many times that I have been blessed and encouraged by them.

Rachel H. said...

Ok. Great. I mean we all love our friends and all but seriously....

time for another post there nursing-girl!