Sunday, January 6, 2008

Where is Chaka Khan when you need her?

After a beautiful and wonderful holiday time spent with family, dear friends...and patients, I have been able to have a few days off before venturing to the ICU as a full fledged Critical Care Nurse (which means I passed my course...woo hoo! Insert a bowing me here). Last evening after a day spent with some of my favorite people, I had a night all to myself. By 9 o'clock I was in my christmas penguin flannel pj's and threw on a cardigan to stay warm in our very chilly apartment. As I was putting on my cardigan, I had a sudden realization that I looked quite similar to a brunette version of Bridget Jones in one of the scenes from the movie, and laughed to myself as I turned on the tv only to find Bridget Jones was on! Brilliant - How perfect!! (Just so you know, I said that last line with a British accent!)

As I watched, I found a few more similarities with myself and Bridge last night, beyond our unfortunate yet comfy outfits. There is a scene in the movie where Bridget is picking herself up from the disappointment of the devastingly handsome yet cheating Daniel, and she puts on the song "I'm Every Woman" sung by none other than Chaka Khan, and proceeds to start changing her life for the better.

I am having one of those Chaka Khan moments...without the vodka...and without the reason of a horrible cheating boyfriend...so maybe the parallels between me and Bridge are limited...but I'm okay with that.

I keep waiting for the song to break out overhead as I look at the exciting things this new year holds. Tomorrow I start my new job. A position I have just finished almost a year a half preparing for. Later this month I will move into my own place, sans le roommate. It must be noted, that I do LOVE my roommate - she is fabulous, as most of my 13 roommates have been, but it's just time to venture on my own. And of course there are the New Year's Commitments I have made (please note, I did not say "resolution"...semantics, I'm sure...but New Year's Resolutions have such a non-commital connotation to them) that include healthier living and a more purposeful and positive existence (note to reader: vagueness intended. I can't be telling everyone this kind of stuff!).

So here's to 2008...as corny as it sounds, I really do believe it's going to be great! And if you see me smiling and bobbing my head to music that isn't there...I'm probably "hearing" Chaka Khan, so feel free to sing along!

Happy New Year, Friends!

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I hope under those penguin PJ's you are wearing enormous panties:)

Elise said...

hahaha...a lady never tells! *wink*

Sarah said...

Happy New Year!
Congratulations on the new job, and the new place! Could you email me with your new addy, please?!

Splurge Sisters said...

I LOVE when you blog. Life is alright again once I read your adventures. Birds start chirping, the sun shines - contented bliss.

I am excited for your new housing arrangements - shall I buy you a goldfish for company?