Thursday, November 15, 2007

Elliptical Adventures

I am all for fall. It is my favorite season for many reasons. But the top 3 reasons would have to be: 1) the bringing out of sweaters and scarves; 2) the drinking of hot beverages while wearing sweaters and scarves; and, 3) walking in crunching golden leaves with multicolored ones above, drinking a hot beverage wearing a sweater and scarf. sigh. Love it.

On the other hand, I do not love our recent fall weather, what with the raining, and the cold, and the darkness. I have caught myself wanting to go for a run outside recently, but fear for my life with wind warnings along Dallas Road (my favorite running spot)...so, I have denied myself the desire to exercise...UNTIL this week! This week I joined the YMCA (insert YMCA song here). I'm very excited. I've never belonged to gym before, so I'm feeling very young, urban, and professional-like.

So far I've only gone twice. The first day I was feeling a little too proud to ask people where everything was, so I thought I would find things myself. I thought I was following the signs for the "cardio centre" correctly when I stumbled upon the 3 pieces of cardio equipment in the area occupied by large weight machines, and equally large 'Roid Boys in their 20s. I confess I did wonder why there were only 3 machines, and why I was the only girl in the area...but it didn't stop me from climbing on the elliptical trainer and hitting play on my iPod as I started my much anticipated workout. About 3 minutes into my session I noticed a sign...just letting people know that these machines were for the people that were unable to make it up the stairs to the regular cardio centre. If I hadn't been surrounded by the 'Roid Boys I would have nervously laughed aloud...but instead I kept going until I'd finished five minutes, what I deemed an appropriate "warm-up" (although unintentional), purposefully left the boys behind and found my way to the real "cardio centre".

I figured today would be a little less awkward now that I knew where I was going. And for the most part it was...until I climbed up the elliptical again and hit play on my iPod...all was fine (being in the appropriate area, and all) until Scissor Sisters came on. Specifically, "I Don't Feel Like Dancing". I don't know about you, but whenever I hear this song I TOTALLY feel like dancing. Some of my favorite memories are dancing to this song (e.g., having an impromptu dance party at my house with my nephews and niece (I'd be happy to give a demonstration of Andrew's moves...they're legendary) and dancing at my friend Laura's wedding). I LOVE that double clap bit. Anyways - deep love for the song, and the dancing effect it has...that is until I was on the elliptical and all of a sudden I was trying to keep in time to the song and keep up with my pace....next thing you know I'm all out of sorts, somehow completely losing allllll rhythm, practically falling off and needing to stop my activity, regroup, and start again. Right after I pressed fast forward to the next song.

Seriously - Scissor Sisters should come with a warning: "Dance-ability of songs may cause injury...especially to the rhythmically challenged"

Out of curiousity...what do you listen to when you're workin' out? I need to find a new song...for my own safety.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

haha, the "boys" probably thought you just wanted to look at them! I like to listen to "Hung Up" or "Sorry" by Madonna.

Elise said...

ooohh! Nice choice! Why have I not embraced Madonna yet?!?! Mental note.

Sarah said...

Shania Twain's album "Come on Over" has some pretty good workout songs on it. Then there are stratigically placed slower songs for the warm up and cool down!!! (so, does the age of that cd tell you when the last time I seriously worked out was???? Haven't got anything new because I haven't worked out in forever!!!!! But I do own a new elliptical trainer, so I might have to find some new tunes, and get back in the groove!!!!!)

Rachel H. said...

WHEN are you writing your book?

SoulPastor said...

Dancing?!!
What is that?????

Anonymous said...

I totally have to agree with tricia. Madonna is by far the best album to listen to while working out. The whole confessions cd is awesome, and anything by daft punk usually gets me going.

Sarah said...

I'm looking forward to reading your Christmas post :)