Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I left my stethoscope(?) in San Francisco

Note to self: Must start setting time aside in schedule for regular blogging, so as to avoid two blog entries in one day.

FRIENDS! I confess, I have wanted to blog for almost a month now, but have been finding it hard to make the time between my lengthy hours spent on crackbook...err...um...facebook. So, I am going to reach back a few weeks now and relive possibly THE BEST day of my nursing career to date!

It all started at 4 pm one day, after I had returned home from my first mystic tan of the year (because life is better tanned!)...and I received a message from a family friend of ours, Bob Foster, who some of you may know. Bob is a flight paramedic, and very quickly becoming my new best friend! So, Bob calls and says "Hey - I'm flying down to San Francisco at 6 tonight to pick up an intubated patient in ICU and bring him back here. I need a nurse with a passport, you want to come?" Hmmmm...let me think...YES! Yes, I do!! Within 2 hours we arrive at the airport, with passport in hand, and board the Lear Jet with two pilots, a respiratory therapist, stretcher and all sorts of fun medical supplies! After a two hour flight we land in Oakland, are picked up on the tarmac by an ambulance and are whisked away across THE Golden Gate Bridge to the hospital. I confess, it was pretty hard for me to conceal the huge amount of giddy excitement I had. I suppose it's a little twisted to be excited about having to bring a sick patient back to Canada, but this is the stuff Rock Star Nurses' dreams are made of! Three hours later we had boarded the plane again with our patient and gear, this time headed to Nanaimo to deliver our patient to his hometown hospital ICU. And as we flew home to Victoria in the wee small hours of the morning, I couldn't help but marvel at the adventure I had between descending into San Francisco at sunset and descending into Victoria at sunrise. I love my job.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the description of "rock star nurse". i kind of felt like that when i did a medevac. it was fun and exciting! (i'm sure the patient couldn't care less). i will now refer to myself as a rock star nurse...
alida

Sarah said...

You are not just a rock star... you are a SUPERSTAR!!!!! I love that story! What a great day on the job. That is an episode for ER-Canada.

Grammie said...

Elise that is so exciting. You
rock girl!
Eli

the OAK tree said...

What a cool life you have.. The next time I am in Cook street area I am going to pop in and take you for coffee just so I can hear more of your very cool life!!!! Oh and maybe we will go for a run??

Rachel H. said...

K, that is a sweeet post....(yes, I am STILL on the computer . ha ha)