Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Power of the Red High-Heels

You know life is good when I can break out my favorite pair of red high-heels TWICE in one week. sigh. Life is rich. Note: I did not say I am rich...just life. (And that's why I'm holding out to marry for money, because my uncle always said "Marry for money, love will come later"...but he also used to lick my face...so maybe his advice isn't the advice I should be heeding.)

I just spent the night out with some friends from work who I hadn't seen for some time because of my current full-time study schedule. We met up at Glo - a very urban, italian inspired, place on the Gorge (made me feel like I was in another city - I LOVE that!) to celebrate a birthday, catch up, and dream up our next few little adventures. It's always good to get together with familiar friends, especially during a time when so many of my days are filled with the unfamiliar. Unfamiliar staff members, unfamiliar environment, unfamiliar information...all this to say it was a welcomed reprieve. Comforting even. Isn't that amazing? Isn't it amazing how just the company of warm, familiar faces brings comfort to the soul, not to mention combining it with good conversation (and, even better, a fabulous meal) . Oh I am thankful for these people in my life. Especially during this time of change.

PLUS I'm thankful for a reason to get all dressed up and enjoy a night out! It doesn't take much to convince me to bring out the high-heels and hairspray to have a fun night on the town, but it's funny how it does take some planning. A good friend of mine and I have adopted the practice of the "Urban Summit"(an homage to the Bridget Jones Urban Summit). We're both single, young, professional, and rather fun-loving women...currently without men to take us out and about, so we take ourselves out. It usually involves either fabulous food or the arts (recently the opera "Indomeneo"...fabulous...apart from the female mezzo-soprano playing the role of a prince...but I digress) or better yet, BOTH!

The Urban Summit is a fabulous concept, especially for the single and fabulous female - although, I would recommend it to anyone (married-types included). Everyone needs an excuse to bring out their own version of red high-heels...because sometimes, just like a good friend, they too, bring comfort to the soul.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I remember your uncle saying that often!!! And the face licking was so gross... do you think he's grown up at all? Haven't seen him in a few years!! He did diss Country music on my blog once, but that's about the extent of the communication I've had with him!

alida said...

oh, it sounds nice to dress up and be clean. the closest i am getting to red high heels is scrubbing the red dust out of my feet and find the next day i didn't get it all. so do red feet count? i even wore jeans to town yesterday - i felt so normal and non-missionary looking. yeah!! gotta enjoy the small things in life - jeans and clean water... aaahhhh:-)

Anonymous said...

Good words.