Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Poignant Words of Fred Penner

Disclaimer: This blog entry is pretty much about nothing. One might call it a Seinfeld Blog...but I couldn't help myself.

I have a new addiction as of late, as if coffee, all beverages fizzy, and ANTM weren't enough. I can't get enough of it. I've had it at least everyday for the last week...and I still want more. In the immortal words of Fred Penner "I love sandwiches". There. I said it. In fact I was singing it the other day at work, to which my coworker, not shocked at the fact that I was singing at work...again, looked at me quizzically and asked "what ARE you singing?"...poor soul had not been exposed to the lyrical genius of Fred Penner in her youth. I know what you're thinking "Did she grow up in cave?" No. But, let this be a lesson to us all to expose all children we know to fabulous songs about sandwiches, and magic dragons named Puff. But I digress...back to the sandwich...

Now today it was just your average turkey sandwich on nice, fresh whole wheat, with a little mayo, butter, lettuce, tomato and avocado...but Tuesday - I have to tell you about Tuesday. It was possibly the best sandwich I have ever made. Let's call it The Italian Tuna Melt. This sandwich will revolutionize how you see the Tuna Melt. Ingredients: tuna, a spoonful of pesto, chopped kalamata olives, diced tomato (without seeds...too watery), a splash or two of balsamic vinegar and feta cheese, on fresh bread. Now I used just some bakery whole wheat...but the ideal would be a paninni or ciabata bun...but the bread worked. Grill that baby up, and mmmmmmmm...tuna melt heaven, italiano style.

Just thought I'd share. And leave you with this:

Sandwiches are beautiful
Sandwiches are fine
I love sandwiches
I eat them all the time

I eat them for my supper
And I eat them for my lunch
If I had a hundred sandwiches
I'd eat them all at once...

(courtesy of Fred Penner's "Sandwiches")

9 comments:

Louise said...

MMM - makes me want mmy favorite Earl's sandwich... grilled chicken and baked brie cheese on a ciabatta bun - with a plum (or fig) sauce and baked appples too. The combination is amazing! I cannot stray from that menu item :)

shantala said...

mmm you make good sandwiches... I think I need to be a little more creative. Reading your little entry not only makes me drool a little...haha but makes me sad that today I only have a boring salad! It also makes me long for warmer days and picnics on a big blanket enjoying the outdoors. hmmm lets plan that soon!

Louise said...

PS: that stutter on mmy was not intentional! oops!

Rachel H. said...

That DOES sound good. (I also was not privy to anything -Penner).

Yes, I ran home but it was now 2 weeks ago and since then my thigh is sore. And I meant to run for 40 mins yesterday but felt so fat/big/slow I ran for 30 with a 2 min. walk in the middle. Not good. Might break before Sunday now.

I'm not sure about the bibs - perhaps on top of our church clothes before we go on stage? Any thoughts on what you're Dad is thinking there ?? lol

Anonymous said...

best sandwich for me...
after eating rice and sardines three times a day for a month - fresh bread with fresh tuna, fresh avacodo, tomatoes and mayo. divine. love at first bite. goodbye sardines, hello flavour!
alida

Kirsten B. said...

Mmmm, Sandwiches = gooood!
I remember bits and pieces of Fred Penner - wasn't he the guy who would start off his TV show by coming througha big hollow log? I think then I must have switched the channel to Sesame Street or Mr. Dress-up, because I don't remember much more...
Anyway, yes your sandwich sounds oh-so-yummy! And as far as my favourite hot sandwiches go, I love, love, LOVE Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches!! Moxies has THE best!!

Sarah said...

too funny!
I see that I am going to have to frequent your blog daily, rather than weekly now... you have upped your posts! Good job! Great song. I would like to work with you so I can hear you singing at work :) I like a turkey cranberry sandwich... and pb and honey! I agree with Shantala that any sandwich on a picnic blanket tastes good...... Enjoy your sandwich!

the OAK tree said...

Saw your time for the TC 10k good job an improvement over last year keep up the good work!!!

Rayael said...

mmmm ~ I have to agree with the other gals. I must point out too that the pb&j sandwich...pretty much kept me alive for about half of my life. It's true. I would have cereal for breakfast..who knows what for lunch (school days) I probably had a cookie, apple,...then when I got home from school I would eat two (top & bottom bread) pb&j sandwiches! I think that is where my bum came from. So, 'Cheers' to the Sandwich! xxoo